Relationships can have their ups and downs. When you have an argument there are some things you can do to help turn things around and resolve difficult issues.
- Discuss one issue at a time. Stay on topic.
- No degrading language. Discuss the issue not the person. No put-downs or name-calling.
- Express your feelings with words and take responsibility for them. “I feel angry when I am ignored.”
- Take turns talking. Be careful not to interrupt.
- Don’t spend your time thinking how to respond, listen when your partner is talking.
- No yelling. Sometimes arguments are won by being the loudest but the problem only gets worse.
- Do your best to come to a compromise. Even if you can’t, merely understanding can help soothe negative feelings.
If you would like to discuss how to communicate better with your partner I’m happy to help!
Call: 484-876-1842 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.